Designed to be fun and engaging, the course blends online and non-computer activities to teach students coding constructs through the freely available Scratch environment. The course includes tutor-led video conferencing and self-paced projects and builds. During the course, aimed at girls aged 9-15 years, participants will create their own projects whilst collaborating and interacting with other participants. Participants can make use of any device, including the school tablet. In this Scratch course, students create their own games, art, and musical instruments while exploring coding foundations.
*A minimum number of participants must be reached for the course to run.
By the end of the course, participants will:
- Understand and use key concepts relating to computational thinking of which problem decomposition, pattern recognition and abstraction;
- Develop algorithms to analyse a problem and develop solutions;
- Predict and explain the outcomes of a sequence of instructions;
- Create and modify a sequence of instructions which give a solution to a given task;
- Break down a complex task into small meaningful parts;
- Debug and test basic code;
- Identify and correct errors in a sequence of instructions;
- Analyse a solution to a task and formulate a more efficient solution.
Participants are expected to connect 15 minutes before the session begins. Kindly note that some of the sessions might run longer than 1.5 hours.